My Yellow Suitcase

Redesign your life. Travel the world.

Tips on How to Apply for a South Korean Tourist Visa

Applying for a South Korean tourist visa in the Philippines is not as easy as before because last February 17, 2015, the Korean Embassy in Manila imposed stricter requirements for tourist visa applications effective March 1, 2015. From the previous three supporting documents, the Embassy now requires four, all of which “must be issued within three months from the date of application.”


But don’t worry because getting a visa approved is basically based on the completeness and correctness of the documents submitted. And if you have funds to show that you can support your stay in their country then it’s just a piece of cake. Here are some tips on how to apply for a South Korean Tourist Visa in Manila.



1.  Visa application form

  • Application form MUST be duly filled in and signed.  The form can be obtained from the Embassy or   downloaded here.
  • Don’t leave anything blank
  • Write N/A if not applicable

2.  Passport

  • Original passport (should be valid for more than 6 months)
  • Photocopy of Passport Bio-page (page 2)
  • Original & Photocopy of valid visa/s and arrival stamps to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) member countries (except Korea) for the past 5 years, if applicable. If you haven’t been to any of the OECD member countries in the past 5 years, then that’s fine. 
  • Submit without jacket or cover

3.   Photo

  • one passport sized colored picture
  • 5 cm x 4.5 cm white plain white background
  • Photo must be pasted on the application form.


Depending on your employment status, these are the supporting documents that you’ll need to provide.

1.  For Employees

  • Employment Certificate (original)
  • Personal Bank Statement (original; for last 3 months)
  • Personal Bank Certificate (original; 6 months average balance)
  • Individual Income Tax Return (photocopy)
  • ACR and ICR (for foreign nationals who are resident in the Philippines)
  • If personally invited to Korea: Original Invitation Letter and passport copy of the Korean invitor. 
  • If invited by a company in Korea: Original Invitation Letter and photocopy of the Korean Company Business Permit. 

2.  For Businessmen

  • Business Registration from SEC or Registration from DTI and Mayor’s Permit (photocopy)
  • Personal Bank Statement (original; for last 3 months)
  • Personal Bank Certificate (original; 6 months average balance)
  • Individual Income Tax Return (photocopy)
  • ACR and ICR (for foreign nationals who are resident in the Philippines)
  • If personally invited to Korea: Original Invitation Letter and passport copy of the Korean invitor.
  • If invited by a company in Korea: Original Invitation Letter and photocopy of the Korean Company Business Permit. 

3.  For Student who will tour Korea              

  • School certificate (original)
  • Photocopy of School ID
  • Birth certificate (photocopy)
  • Copy of parent’s passport first page
  • Parents Bank Certificate (original; 6 months average balance)
  • Parents Bank Statement (original; for last 3 months)
  • Parents Employment certificate (original)
  • Parents Income Tax Return (photocopy)

4.  For Housewife

  • Husband’s Employment Certificate or Business Permit (SEC or DTI and Mayor’s Permit)
  • Husband’s Copy of ITR
  • Personal or Husband’s Bank Statement (original; for last 3 months)
  • Personal or Husband’s Bank Certificate (original; 6 months average balance)
  • NSO Marriage Contract (copy)
  • Original and copy of US, New Zealand, Korea, Japan, Australia and Canada visa (if there is)

5.  For Parents of a Filipino national married to Korean

  • Korean marriage history certificate issued within the last 3 months (original)
  • Korean’s passport photocopy
  • Daughter’s passport photocopy
  • Daughter’s NSO marriage certificate
  • Invitation letter from the Korean national

6.   For Koreans’ sister/brother-in-law

  • Birth certificate of the applicant
  • Korean marriage history certificate (issued within 3 months)
  • Korean’s passport photocopy (first page)
  • Married Filipino’s passport photocopy (first page)
  • Married Filipino’s NSO Marriage certificate
  • Invitation Letter from the Korean national
  • If the applicant is employed, submit Employment Certificate, Bank certificate, and ITR.


  1. ITR should readily be available from your HR department. Otherwise, you can request through Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR),
  • Address: BIR National Office Bldg., BIR Road, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
  • Telephone no:+632-981-8888
  • Trunkline:+632-981-7000
  • Email:
  1. Bank certificate is not required for applicants with a valid visa or who have been to any OECD member countries within the last 5 years.


1.  Submit requirements to the Consular Office – for the address click here.

  • Filing of application is between 9-11 AM, Mondays to Fridays.
  • Bring the complete requirements to the embassy (address and driving directions at the bottom of this post). No need to make an appointment.
  • Get a number stub from the receptionist and fill up the log form with the appropriate information.
  • First-time travelers, you can present your documents to windows 1 or 2.
  • Frequent travelers and holders of valid OECD-member go to window 3.

2.  Pay the visa fee

For Philippine Passport holders:

  • 59 days (or less) stay in Korea — GRATIS (free)
  • 60 to 90 days stay in Korea – Php 1,350  (at the time of this writing)
  • More than 90 days stay in Korea – not applicable for tourist visa
  • Single Entry – Php 2,250
  • Multiple Entry – Php 3,600

American Passport holders: Php 2,025

Foreign nationals in the Philippines applying for a tourist visa: Php 1,350

After they’ve called your number and reviewed your documents, they’ll give you a claim slip with a tentative release date for your passport (hopefully with visa).

3.  Wait for the visa to be processed

  • 3 working days (for those who have visas of OECD member countries)
  • 5 working days (for those who do not have visas of OECD member countries)

This may be extended, though, depending on the Consul’s decision.

4.   Claim your passport

  • Releasing time is from 2-4 PM, Mondays to Fridays.
  • Before you claim your passport, be sure to write your name and contact number at the back of your claim slip. Depending on the strength of your application, you may be asked to provide additional documents and/or be subjected to an interview.

Visa exemptions are as follows:

  • If using Philippine Official and Diplomatic Passport.
  • If transiting only and going to the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan, or New Zealand.  But must not stay beyond 30 days and with confirmed onward ticket to the 3rd country.
  • If the individual has been to Korea for four (4) times within the past two years with a C2 or C3 visa.  Or has been to Korea for more than ten (10) times already.
  • If Nationality is among the list of those exempted from securing a visa.  For information or list of these nationalities, click here,  you may also refer to this site.

If you have successfully been approved a visa after using my blog as a reference, please do let me know. I love to hear success stories through my blog and  see how many people I have already helped. Lastly, if you found my blog helpful, you can thank me for sharing this website to your Facebook wall or Twitter. I would really appreciate that! Thanks and here’s wishing you all get an approved  visa!

You may also want to check my blog on  N Seoul Tower and Namsan Park,  Gyeongbukgong and Changdeokgung Palace, My First Impressions of Seoul, Budget Travel in Seoul, 15 Must Try Street Food in Seoul,  15 Must Try Food in Seoul

Useful links:


160 comments on “Tips on How to Apply for a South Korean Tourist Visa

  1. Pandaaaa
    October 1, 2016

    Hello. Ask ko lang po. Student po ako, so parents’ documents isusubmit ko. Sa ITR pob” ba ok lang po yung form 1701 lang, ito lang po kasi binigay saken, yung receipts daw po nasa accountant.


  2. Angel
    October 1, 2016

    Hello. Ask ko lang po

    Student po ako so ang isusubmit ko po parents’ documents

    For the ITR po, 1701 ang binigay saken ng mother ko. Pero yung parang form lang po binigay nya saken yung 12pages. Ok lang po ba yun ang i-submit ko? Yung receipts daw po nasa accountant.


    • Ynah CA
      October 2, 2016

      Hi Angel, yes okay lang yan…


      • Rose Ann Mallen
        October 3, 2016

        miss Yna!!! Mallen po ito… haha 🙂 magkorea ako next year.. 🙂 thank you for this! 🙂


      • Ynah CA
        October 18, 2016

        Happy trip!


  3. Nina
    October 2, 2016

    Hi Miss Ynah. I have a question. I would be applying for a south korean visa but I am confused what to pass regarding my parents’ documents. I just graduated last June and currently unemployed. My parents are the ones shouldering my trip this november but the only thing I can pass as for the replacement of CEO is my mother’s business. However her bank account is below 20k cos I am the one using it. Can I pass my dad’s and my own personal bank account instead? But yeah its weird because the dti, permit and itr i am going to pass is under my mom’s name. 😦 what do you think? One blog suggeted me to just transfer money to my mom’s account instead of using my dad’s but I need a second opinion. Isnt wrong to deposit a large sum of money in one go knowing that my trip is this november already and I am planning to file for a visa ASAP? But the blog told me that it’s okay as long as the earnings from my mom’s business can reflect to the amount deposited into the account. What can you suggest? 😦 thank you!!!


    • Ynah CA
      October 2, 2016

      Hi Nina, thanks for dropping by…. I have two options for you 1. Is your father working? Have a bigger money in the bank? if so, you can submit his docs instead of your moms. 2. Yes you may deposit some money to your mother’s account its okay… As long as the amount that’s in there will be able to sustain your stay in Korea.


      • Nina
        October 2, 2016

        My father is working but he cannot provide dti, permit and itr since he is just doing freelance business. It’s not registered. 😦 that is why I can only submit my mom’s and yes my dad has a good amount of money that can support my trip.

        If ever I would transfer money to my mom’s, would it be okay? It may seem like i just borrowed money for my trip. I am planning to apply for a visa this coming week :((((((. The other blogger told me that its okay as long as the mnet will reflect to my mom’s itr. Is it true?

        And to add, I can also submit my own bank cert and statement since my parents have saved money for me months ago. If I only knew before that I wont be employed yet as of octber, sana po sa account nalng ng mom ko pinasave before. They used my account po kasi I thought that I would be already employed the moment I apply for the visa so that there will be a money that can support me aside from what I can earn. Thank youuuu.


      • Nina
        October 2, 2016

        Would it be okay to transfer money like 80k in one go? Hindi po ba magtataka yung consul kasi yung last transaction my mom had in her account is a large amount of money deposited? 😦

        Thank you for helping me and I hope you can still reply. I am planning to fix everything tomorrow po 😦


  4. Angel
    October 8, 2016

    Hello. Any idea po kung bakit binalik ng consul bank statements na sinubmit ko? Pero yung bank certificate kinuha po. Kinda worried. 2 nmbank accounts po pinasa ko. And kinuha rin po photocopy ng prc id ng mom ko. Thank you


  5. Angel
    October 8, 2016

    Hello. Any idea po, bakit po kaya binalik yung 2 bank statements na pinasa ko? Pero kinuha po dalawang bank certificate and pati po photocopy ng prc id ng mother ko. Pero sa friend ko po di naman binalik yung bank statements, sabay po kami nagpasa. Student po ako. Thank you


    • Ynah CA
      October 19, 2016

      Hi Angel, not sure why… but if you have an existing oecd visa then you dont need it.


  6. Clariz Castrojeres
    October 18, 2016

    hello! planning for applying next month with my daughter using bpi gold. ang problem ko lang po is TNT yung asawa ko sa korea. matetrace kaya yun? thanks!


    • Ynah CA
      October 19, 2016

      Hi Claris, for sure matetrace sya if you are going to submit sponsorship letter from him. Better not decalre and get the visa indepemdently.


  7. Jas
    October 24, 2016

    hi po,hindi po ba pwede ang ibang kulay na background ng passport size photo?


    • Ynah CA
      October 25, 2016

      Hi Jas…indi, kailangan kung ano talaga ung nirequire nila


  8. chatan
    October 31, 2016

    Hello! I am planing to go to SK next year. I am a student po but i have part-time job. Can I submit my mother’s ITR and COE and my own bank certificate? By the way, ako po yung mag-support ng trip ko. Thanks po.


    • Ynah CA
      November 1, 2016

      Hi chatan! You will be under the category ng tourist visa for students… aside from your mother’s ITR and COE provide ka din ng proof na student ka , like registration form…


  9. Pumpkinboss
    November 6, 2016

    Hi i am an ofw how can i provide band certificate? Okay lang kya bangko ko dito abroad gagamitin ko?
    And wala akong ITR paano sya? Thanks


    • Ynah CA
      December 15, 2016

      Yes pede ung sa abroad na bank certificAte. Tell them that you an ofw


  10. Louieee
    November 13, 2016

    Hi me and my friend is traveling to SK next year. Both of us are students and planning to use the documents of our parents since we are not yet employed. Our parents will shoulder din our trip. Is there a chance to get approved kahit both students lang kami?

    How many months prior to travel date pwede magapply ng visa?


    • Ynah CA
      November 15, 2016

      Yes possible naman na maaprove as long as all the required documents ay complete na naisubmit….. approval takes about a week 🙂


  11. Queen
    December 9, 2016

    Hi! Me and my friend are first time travellers. What will be your suggestion for high chance of having visa granted? Should we process it personally or go to a travel agency and process it for us? I’m from cdo so I won’t be able to make it, only my friend who’s very near to BGC. Thanks


    • Rovi
      January 31, 2017

      Mas safe kung ikaw mismo mag process


  12. donmarc
    December 15, 2016

    hi…we’re about to pass our requirements to SK embassy soon…me, my wife, my sisters and brothers in law have already booked a flight this February 2017 for a five days trip to SK…we will not be passing our requirements as a group but as couples…just want to know if we need to pass two (2) same bank certificates, joint account, for both of us?…although we are both employed, i don’t have a separate personal bank account unlike my wife…


    • Ynah CA
      December 15, 2016

      Hi donmarc, yes you have to submit one for you and for your wife. Coz the visa will be granted per person not as a couple.


    • Badette
      December 19, 2016

      Hi! They only took one set of requirements.. they said its just the same🤗me & my husband applied for SK visa last Wednesday..just to inform you lang😊


      • Ynah CA
        December 25, 2016

        Oh thats great! Best of luck and happy travels 🙂


  13. Venice
    December 24, 2016

    Hi! Ask ko lang po,freelancer po ako and for now seasonal yung job ko and wala akong itr. But may bank acct.naman ako.
    Mag-sk ako next year since may nag-invite sakin, sagot nila accomodation ko and everything. May chance kaya na ma-approve visa ko pag ganun?


    • Ynah CA
      March 4, 2017

      Present spinsorship documents… refer to the requirements needed when someone is going to sponsor your flight and stay in SK


  14. Pau
    January 3, 2017

    Hello… I have a question po, What to do if wala po akong ITR pero I am employed po?


    • Ynah CA
      March 4, 2017

      Hi Pau… simply request a copy from your company’s HR.


  15. Eimarej
    January 9, 2017

    Hello, Im planning to go to Korea this June 2017 for 4 days since I only have 30 days vacation in the Philippines, I’m currently working here in Saudi Arabia, just want to ask if can I apply for tourist visa here in Saudi since there is also Korean embassy here? Thank you so much


  16. buddytanio
    January 18, 2017

    Good Day!

    Hi Ms, Ynah,

    Ill be applying visa for SK tomorrow. Kumpleto na po lahat ng requirements.
    Here’s my profile:
    Almost 6 years as an employee
    Position: Team Leader
    Bank Cert – P41, 000.

    Unfortunately, nabawasan ko eto ng 5k (emergency).
    Means 36, 000 na lng natira sa bank certf; Pano po sila nagchecheck ng bank certf?
    or tinatwagan talaga nila ung bank just to confirm?
    Any suggestion po?
    Whatever feedback is really appreciated.

    Hope to hear you soon.


  17. Rovi
    January 31, 2017

    Hi po ate, tanong lang po kasi senior na ang parents ko gusto ko po sila dalhin sa S.Korea, pero ung mama ko po nagwowork pa po. Pede po ba un kung ung savings ko na lang po ung gagawan ko ng Bank Statement and Certificate para sakanilang dalawa? parang ako po ung magshoulder ng trip nila sa korea?

    Thank youuu!


  18. Nhel
    February 15, 2017

    Mam ask ko lang po. Pano po kung unemployed tas kaya naman mashoulder yung trip to Korea with my savings sa bank? How’s the process po?


  19. Myra
    April 12, 2017

    Hello po.. Balak qna po ipasa requirements q next week sa SK embassy. meron po akong bank statement, bank certificate B.I.R D.T.I, na tad iinvite po kc ako ng bf q. Bali foreigner po xa, anu pa po mga kelangang isubmit na requirements na kelangan sa embassy po?


  20. Romeo Alcazaren
    April 29, 2017

    Good Day po!
    I am planning to visit South Korea this december and acquire a SoKor tourist visa this Oct. My question is sa application form po dapat po ba mas mataas ang balance namin sa bank kaysa sa estimated cost nang visit ko?


  21. mano
    May 17, 2017

    Hi I applied south Korea tourist visa in consult but they called me and dated for interview. .give me tips


    • Ynah CA
      June 4, 2017

      Hi Mano, just be yourself, relax and just let if flow naturally.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: